Known as the “Father of Adaptogens,” Russian scientist Dr. Israel Brekhman had his work first published in scientific literature in 1960. This was a culmination of 15 years of research done on adaptogens during the reign of the Soviet Union and a topic he dedicated his life to. Today, Dr. Brekhman is credited with introducing to the world formulas of adaptogens that promote health by helping people cope with everyday stress, maintain high levels of energy, and free the body from fatigue.
In a society plagued by chronic stresses, a targeted solution to prime and protect the body from its harmful effects is necessary. Enter NOMADIC Brand, the self-proclaimed “nature’s answer to stress,” which contains adaptogen compounds that work in the body by increasing its ability to adapt to those stresses while also improving physical and mental functioning under stressful conditions.
Brekhman and his colleagues defined adaptogens as natural plant substances that:
- Increase the body’s ability to cope with internal and external stresses.
- Exhibit stimulating effects after both single-time use and prolonged use, leading to increased working capacity and mental performance under stressful and fatigue-inducing conditions.
- Normalize the functions of the body.
- Are entirely safe and have no negative side effects.
While all adaptogens are restorative to the body’s stress response and capacity to perform, certain combinations were studied by Brekhman for the exclusive purpose of boosting performance and fighting fatigue. With that purpose in mind, NOMADIC has formulated blends with Brekhman’s own adaptogen formula as our base reference—talk about the perfect pairing for relief and performance!
For example, our blends contain Rhodiola (full name: Rhodiola rosea)—native to the arctic and mountainous regions throughout Europe, Asia, and America—also has scientific research behind it alluding to athletic improvement. A 2012 study conducted on cyclists found an improved heart rate response to exercise and a decreased perception of effort in subjects who took rhodiola one hour before exercise (4).
One review of adaptogens, published in October 2012, gives cause to always have NOMADIC on hand when a pick-me-up is needed. According to the review, adaptogens “induce increased attention and endurance in situations of decreased performance caused by fatigue and/or sensation of weakness” (5).
The bottom line is that adaptogens are plant substances that help the body to better handle external and internal stressors, they enhance the body’s ability to perform physically, and they increase energy and mental alertness. Israel Brekhman spent his lifetime and career studying adaptogens and how we can use them to prime and protect the body. NOMADIC based our blends off of Brekhman’s best work and are now giving people the tool to take themselves and their health to the next level.
Adapt Your Vibe With NOMADIC's Las Stellas Blends
- Panossian A, Wikman G. Effects of adaptogens on the central nervous system and the molecular mechanisms associated with their stree-protective activity. Pharmaceuticals 2010; 3: 188-224.
- Panossian A, Wikman G. Evidence-based efficacy of adaptogens in fatigue, and molecular mechanisms related to their stress-protective activity. Curr Clin Pharmacol 2009;4:198-219.
- Kuo J, Chen KW, Cheng IS, Tsai PH, Lu YJ, Lee NY. The effect of eight weeks of supplementation with Eleutherococcus senticosus on endurance capacity and metabolism in human. Chin J Physiol 2010;53:105-11.
- Darbinyan V, Kteyan A, Panossian A, Gabrielian E, Wikman G, Wagner H. Rhodiola rosea in stress induced fatigue–a double blind cross-over study of a standardized extract SHR-5 with a repeated low-dose regimen on the mental performance of healthy physicians during night duty. Phytomedicine 2000;7:365-71.
- Vinod PS, Shivakumar H. A current status of adaptogens: natural remedy to stress. Asian Pac J Trop Dis 2012;S480-S490.